Breast reduction surgery, while it reduces the breast weight and volume, is also commonly used to address physical symptoms linked to macromastia or overdevelopment of the breasts such as neck pain, postural problems, inability or difficulty to jog or engage in sports, back pain, and rounded shoulders.
Studies and surveys have suggested that breast reduction surgery provides the highest patient satisfaction rate because oftentimes the benefits are far beyond cosmetics.
To better understand the benefits and other ramifications of the surgery, the California Surgical Institute has provided a list of results most patients should expect:
- Compared with other body sculpting procedures, breast reduction involves a more straightforward recovery as it does not require the muscle to be manipulated and the breasts tend to be less prone to surgery-related pains. For this reason, patients can resume most of their activities within a week or two.
- Physical symptoms caused by overlarge breasts are immediately resolved because they are now smaller and lighter that the patients can perform activities and exercises with much ease and comfort.
- All surgeries will leave permanent scars, although in breast reduction a good plastic surgeon will make every effort to make them less visible, i.e., placing the incisions within the natural fold of skin and around the edges of areola. And to promote good healing and avoid ugly wide scars, they also minimize the tension in the skin through various techniques.
- In terms of body image and self-esteem, studies after studies have shown the positive impact of breast reduction due to a more balanced figure.
- Some patients experience reduced sensation or complete numbness in their nipples and/or breast mound (making it hard or even impossible to breastfeed in the future) that may or may not improve over time. If one finds this risk unacceptable, breast reduction surgery should not be attempted.
- Patients who are experiencing difficulty or inability to perform certain activities will find much ease when exercising, making it easier for them to maintain a healthy, stable weight over the long term.
- With smaller and lighter breasts, they are less prone to the effects of gravity that contribute to the saggy appearance. The surgery itself also creates a lifting effect because the internal structure of the breast is reshaped and the nipple-areola complex is repositioned to a higher, more youthful appearance.